Sunday, April 10, 2011

S10: Top 9 Performance Taping

I figured since I failed to blog about Top 12 Performance & Result Shows, that I owed you this one...even if it is a week later.

I apologize for writing a book. I sometimes get carried away when I write, and go off on a lot of tangents. I try to give you all the details that I can remember.

IN LINE
Christy & I met in front of CBS Studios about 12pm. Later than we planned, but to our luck we were 5 & 6 in line! [Arriving there at noon 3 weeks ago landed us in the 60s.] However, through our experiences this season, we have come to realize your placement in line is worthless, unless you get there too late & don't make it in.

I overheard a conversation a few weeks back that they only let in about 200-300 people from the OCA waiting list. The other 400 people are friends/family of those who work for Idol/19/CBS/Fox/etc, the contestants and celebrities. Lame.

While finishing up our awesome posters (Paul McDonald is on "Top of the World" & "Casey Play my Bassy") we heard this man's voice yell from a car, "Make it dirty!" We look up and lo and behold it is Steven Tyler leaning out the window looking right at us. "The sign, make it dirty...for me!" Dirty old man.

For the Lee DeWyze fans: Mike DeWyze randomly drove by & got stuck at the traffic light. That was an awkward moment for us all. Ha.

COUNTDOWN TO SHOWTIME
To our fortune & misfortune we received 'Section Y.' At least it wasn't the dreaded Section X (where sound & view become irrelevant). Section Y is located right above the band, where the backup singers often stand when not on stage. It is a relatively good view of the entire studio & stage. The sound is 'meh' since you are above the band...vocals tend to be more difficult to hear.

For some odd reason, which I can't complain because it is better than being stuck in the sun, they brought us in an hour till showtime. In our section there are 10 seats. The two girls in front of us were diehard Scotty fans. They were adorable. I had to remind them to breath when he came out. You can see their "Scotty is a Hottie" sign hanging during his performance later on. The girls behind us...didn't know when to shut up (as most of the audience couldn't either). They were fans of...everyone. The couple sitting next to us were quiet. I don't think the guy cared to be there as he had never seen the show before. Then there was Christy & I. Need I say more?

Speaking of the audience...could they be more annoying on Wednesday night? Not sure how much you could hear on TV (as I haven't watched it back yet) but they kept yelling out the judges names during the "critique" (aka "everyone is all peaches & cream") time. About half way through the show, Corey (the MC guy) had to scold the audience for interrupting the show so many times. One girl screamed so loud for Jennifer that I thought she might pass out. Keep it classy Idol fans....

Casey & Haley's families seem really tight. They chatted together for a significant amount of time before the show began. Pia's family just sat there in their neon shirts. Paul's family was quiet, too. His dad made notice of my sign a number of times & kept trying to get my attention with his. :) They had a huge sign from his Elementary School, but I'm not sure they showed it on TV. I only saw them wave it once. Julie Zorrilla was there & chatted with the Casey & Pia's family before getting seated way in the back.

Scott McIntyre & fiance were also in the audience again. I doubt Ryan will ever point him out. So sad. I didn't notice Christian Slater till about half way through the show, and had my first starstruck moment.

SHOWTIME
One of the two perks of our seats is that we can see behind the doors/screen on the stage. So before the show started we were making contact with Casey & Stefano. Stefano had a hard time making a heart from his hands & Casey kept teasing us.

Debbie gave us some instructions for the opening of the show but I was too distracted watching the boys behind the stage to hear anything she said. Everyone kept tripping on the mini staircase (See Stefano's performance) waiting in the back.

Finally, the infamous words "This is American Idol" and the show begins!

JACOB
Jacob starts us off and I was flipping out during his video segment. First, he wants to do a Matt Giraud song, and then ends up doing a Kris Allen song? Thank you for reminding us how awesome season 8 was, is, and always will be. (Kradison FTW) I don't know what Miles was thinking but that outfit was not enduring, and I had to stare at Jacob's butt during the whole performance. No. Standing during his performance was almost a forced feel, though I noticed Nigel was NOT encouraging the crowd on...for once. I think this was when the one girl let out a deafening scream for Jennifer, and Jacob thought it was for him.....

Who else thought it was Naima on stage as the extra backup singer?

HALEY
I was a tad worried with Haley being in the "death spot" tonight. I've actually liked her since her audition. She was my original pick for winner, until I discovered Pia's 'Sing For Your Life' performance. (so much for that...) She was a bit interactive with the crowd beforehand. Her performance had people on their feet in seconds! By far my favorite Haley performance, even if I had a hard time really hearing her vocals (again, the band).

I have no idea what the judges said about Haley because I was slightly distracted by the events occurring behind me. All we hear is this country accent, "Oh, I like your dress!" Turn around and there is Lauren & (to Christy's delight) Casey, just chilling on the staircase. Of course, by this time everyone around us had noticed (and as the annoying crowd they were, made note of it vocally...mind you most of those flipping out where the cougars). Christy showed Casey her sign and he gave her a grin & a fist pump.

After they walked down, the usher responds: "See, I told you these were the best seats in the house!" My response: "Liar!" [Sit me right next to Brad Pitt in Section X, and I'd still call the seats crappy, I want to see & hear the performances].

CASEY
I went to grab my phone from my purse when I saw the upright bass wheeling in from backstage, then I realized my phone was in a plastic bin outside with security. I couldn't be more excited to see Casey finally bring back the bass. He's been all over the place for me, and though this was not the greatest performance, I'd take it over "Smells Like Teen Spirit" any day. I like when Casey doesn't scare me. He loves to take in the crowd, making sure to face every section of seating to wave hi. And his parents are the most adorable of them all. (I did meet his dad afterward and he's too nice).

LAUREN
Lauren was anxiously waiting behind the stage during her video package. You could tell she was reviewing the song in her head while she waited. My biggest note to Lauren....don't ever let Gwen Stefani dress you ever again. You are too old/too young for diapers. I was actually watching the screen in the back during her performance & I kept thinking they were ruining the shots since you could see the cameraman walking in front of her, but I guess they don't show the actually TV footage on that screen, just one camera shot. (sometimes it isn't even on so people in Section X can't see anything.)

James appeared behind us during Lauren's critique time. His presence kind of startled me. I knew he'd be standing in front of our section for the cut to commercial. He just stood there in silence, and the girls behind me starting flipping out. Again, making too much commotion while the cameras were rolling. He did his thing in front of us...I may be on camera, I dunno, but I definitely had a fake smile on. Christy got a high five on the way out, she said he has soft hands.

JAMES
It's amazing to see what happens when the cameras stop rolling for commercial breaks. Suddenly, the doors are opened and the strings were wheeled in & some of the stage guys do the "Turban Slide" towards it to lock it into place as fast as they could. It's fascinating! High fives to all the behind the scenes folks at Idol, you rock! As soon as I saw the strings, I knew this would be a toned down James...which I prefer, if I prefer anything of James. [Sorry, I just can't.]

If my memory serves me right, this is the performance where Nigel stands in the middle of the audience and tries to get them to start up the sway bots. Uh no, Nigel, I refuse to diminish myself to a sway bot with or without the sway pits. He is so aggressive about it, too. It's like he is saying with his arms, "Do it! Do it now!" Then he gives that fully accomplished grin he wears when he knows he succeeded.

SCOTTY
Scotty peeked out from behind the stage before his performance and the two girls in front of my squealed. "Don't forget to breath, girls," I had to remind them often. They were adorable. They hung their sign from the railing. Scotty knows how to work the audience during his performance and off camera. They love him. Biggest cheers no doubt about it. Girls have signs for him everywhere....most of them being some version of "Scotty is a Hottie."

Besides the girls in front of me, I may have been the first on my feet. I loved every ounce of Scotty's performance, though listening back I realize it wasn't his best vocals. But performance wise...this guys has got it all down pat.

I watched Nigel gather the group of girls from the audience. Yes, it was not a "random" happening, it was a Nigel manipulation moment. He had them waiting there (they looked ready to pee their pants) and then motioned for them to rush the stage. Cue Nigel's fully accomplished smirk. [I noticed while watching his performance back you can see Nigel walk behind the judges at one point to grab two girls from the far corner].

PIA
I read that Pia suffers from stage fright, especially when performing more upbeat songs. No doubt about it. She was standing right below us and no matter how loud the girls behind me called her name, she was oblivious. She walked behind the stage and you could feel the tension as she ran through her performance in her head. I caught her eye, and she finally looked up, smiled & waved. So I got the girls to yell her name again and she heard them.

The stage guys worked on getting the smoke machine going, and literally pulled away the tube & ran off stage seconds before her performance began. I was digging it. I love Pia. She was suppose to win....(I demand a recount, it was the hanging chads.)

There was one moment, where tragedy could have struck. After the cameraman walked around her, the cord got wrapped around her heels, and the cameraman jumped off the stage. Luckily, the chord guy noticed and did not pull the chord with him, otherwise, she would have ate it. Not sure if she realized it either but she gracefully stepped over the chord after awhile before walking to the judges' table. Tragedy adverted.

[Last time I was in attendance Paul & Stefano almost suffered the same tragedy, only Paul did stumble slightly (the cameras did not get that shot).]

Note the adorable daughter of Christian Slater. Her & her dad were jamming during the whole show. Seriously, Christian Slater was always up on his feat, rocking his head to the beat. Who knew he was such a fan?

STEFANO
Random staircase in the middle of the stage. I watched the stage crew bring the staircase in from the elephant doors to the backstage area before the show started. That's not a light staircase. But why, it is so random? Maybe it's just me. It was my 2nd least favorite performance of the night, and I feel the audience may have agreed with me. Slow song or not, people get up on their feet....but only a few people made it to their feet by the end of his performance (usually those in front).

Randy, thanks you for at least giving Stefano something to work with. While the audience booed, I nodded my head in agreement. Come on judges, not everything is rainbows & unicorns. Let's actually critique the singers, no matter how good they were. Give them something so they can grow! [This goes for all the contestants, not just Stefano.]

PAUL
Note: I am a big fan of Paul, though I do not want him to win idol nor do I think he will win idol. So I am a bit biased when it comes to him. :)

It's bad enough that I always grin from ear-to-ear when Paul performs but this performance was just awesome in every way. When he gets on stage, he always acknowledges the crowd. Waving hello, reading signs, doing his "oh, just stop it" hand gestures (in a humble way, not cocky). He was laughing at himself during the video package, and so ready to jam.

It didn't take less than one note for the audience to be on its feet dancing along. You forget you are watching idol in a moment like this. You become engulfed by the music and the atmosphere, and you don't want it to end. Well, at least I didn't...and from the jamboree afterward, I'd say nobody else did either.


HOEDOWN
The hoedown alone made this the best taping ever. It lasted through the entire recap video. We didn't even get to hear the recap because the band just kept on playing and the idols kept on dancing. Well...all of them except Pia. She tried to avoid it all the best she could. Debbie had to keep jumping on the stage and redirecting them to the middle because they were all over the stage. Paul & Lauren did their twitvid routine. He started dancing with his guitar in hand before one of the stage crew grabbed it for him. Casey & Haley were practically attached at hip. I didn't even know the show had ended. They went on playing & dancing for about 2 minutes after they cut.


The idols stuck around on stage for awhile saying hi to fans. As Paul exited around back, he made one last intentional glance in my directions & waved goodbye. <3 Scotty came towards us and pretty much made the girls in front swoon.

Then out of nowhere, the band starts playing "happy birthday." I want to say the guys name was Steve? But I don't recall. He came out and there was a birthday cake, everyone was singing. Then the idols came rushing out and the boys literally attacked the guy with hugs. It was one of those "aw" moments that America missed out on (like Lee DeWyze's speech after he won last season, an "aw" moment not caught on camera).


That's when you realize how special it is to be in the audience. To experience the idols off camera moments, and see true personalities shine. You also learn to appreciate those behind the scenes, and notice the relationships they build with the contestants. Not to mention the amazing MC, Corey, who pumps up the crowd & passes out idol merchandise all night. Didn't get anything this time, but I do have my Paul McDonald t-shirt from Top 12 night. :)


CHEESECAKE FACTORY
Afterward, we had dinner at The Grove's Cheesecake Factory. I heard it is an Idol hot spot, as the idols often go have dinner with their families after performance shows. Sure enough, while sitting out on the patio, we saw Lauren speed walking (by herself) thru the mall in her bright blue sweatshirt & sweat pants. She got stopped a couple times, and even did a quick dance move for a group of girls who were at the show.

I guess she eventually made way to the CKF. We had seen her family waiting outside. Someone said she kept going in and out of the restaurant. We walked by her as we were exiting, she was eating and chatting with the cute male waiter. You go girl!

Someone tweeted me while we were there that Scotty and his family were also at CKF. We actually ran into him on our way out, as he was leaving, too. So I stopped and said hello. We talked about how great everyone did tonight & how it would be a hard vote. Then he held open the door for us. True southern gentleman! :)

Then I spent the next two hours driving home. Ha.

THE END

Another great taping, another adventure for the books. Until next time....
(David Cook anyone? Me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment